If you have an e-mail address please see that we get it,  this way we can drop you a line and keep you posted.  You can use any e-mail address on the home page to reach us.


We have a database of e-mail addresses, we also have a policy that goes along with the database:

No e-mail addresses are posted anywhere, if anyone wants to contact you via e-mail, before we give out any e-mail addresses you will be notified first, and only with your permission will your e-mail address be given.
Attention: Hotmail Account Users
Speaker Dennis Hastert,
H.R. 218 shouldn't have to get a discharge petition to get heard.  America's law enforcement officers have earned the right to be heard and H.R. 218 has earned the right to a vote.  America's law enforcement is watching Congress and it's failure to act on H.R 218 is not in the best interests of the American people.
Hotmail users will have to log on at least once every 30 days or the account will expire.  Previously accounts expired after 45 days.  In the United States the change came into effect on November 1, 2001.  Following deactivation users have 90 days to reactivate the account.  When the service deactivates an account, it deletes all stored e-mail and address books, and refuses incoming mail. 

If you have an account with Hotmail and haven't used it in a while,  you better check to  see if it's still there.

The Pension Section has been removed from the Police Department legislatively and relocated. The information is as indicated below.   Michael D. Welsome is the Executive Director and Inspector Robert Sens-Castet has been designated Deputy Executive Director.

This move should increase the proficiency of the Pension Section and prove to be beneficial to all NYPD retirees in the long term.

233 Broadway   25th Floor

Main number: 212-693-5100
Fax number : 212-693-2825
Web site:       WWW.NYC.GOV/NYCPPF

Article II Retirement             212-693-5100 option #2
Retirement Counselors       212-693-5100 option #3
Buy back section                 212-693-5100  option #4      
Loans                                    212-693-5100 option #5

Out of state callers  1-866-692-7733 (same options as above)

Fraternally yours
PO Marc Marino
Retirement Counselor

A message to those who live amongst us that think we should forgive and not exterminate.

Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then ask yourself,
What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Are we just to do nothing?
To allow the men who have let loose on us the dogs of
war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth?

I detest any submission to a people who have either ceased to be human,
or have not virtue enough to feel their own wretchedness!
If ye love comfort better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace.

We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands of your master.
May your chains sit lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" ...........

                                Samuel Adams, 1776

                                                Some things never change

CFrom Susan, this has been sent out last year, new updated numbers
Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer it someday. Maybe we should all take some of this advice!  
  1. The next time you order checks have only your initials instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your 
  initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.                                                             
  2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO  ID REQUIRED".                                                            
  3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts,  DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check  as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.                                                                      
  4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If  you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not  have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it  printed,anyone can get it.                                           
  5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to cancell and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a  photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all  heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a  name, address, Social Security number, Credit cards.        
But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case your wallet is stolen. 
  1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately.  But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.      
  2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation          
  (if  there ever is one).    But here's what is perhaps most important of all:                    
  3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name.  The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.                                                    
Here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, if it has been stolen:                                                                                                          
  1) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285                                               
  2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742                              
  3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289                                          
  4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271         

Important information to have before it's needed
Copy, print this and save it

To often spouses and families are left in a quandary upon the death of a loved. Few situations in life are more stressful than when a spouse passes. All too often we have a difficult time focusing on the issues at hand and need guidance to get the deceased affairs in order. The following is a general guide for the widower regarding important notifications that must be made by the surviving spouse and information you should have on hand when a retiree dies.

Get organized now. When someone dies, one of the big problems for beneficiaries is locating the things necessary to settle the estate. Make sure you know before the death occurs where to find the following documents and information...
Living Will
Deeds (if any)
Safe-deposit boxes (location of boxes, contents and keys)
Life insurance policies
Funeral and burial instructions 
Names and addresses of creditors and debtors
List of assets and where they are located
List of all advisers-attorney, accountant, insurance agent, stockbroker, etc.

NYC Police Pension Fund either in writing or by telephone
233 Broadway,
25th Floor
New York. New York 10279
Attention: Retiree Death Benefits Unit
Telephone (212) 693-5607/5919

Contact the appropriate Union for a possible existing life insurance policy and also for continuation of optional benefits, if qualified.

Police Officers-
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association (P.B.A. (212) 233-5531

Detectives' Endowment Association (D.E.A.) (212) 587-9120

Sergeant's Benevolent Association (S.B.A.) (212) 431-6555

Lieutenants and above-
Superior Officers Council (S.O.C) (212) 964-7500

Contact the NYC Health Benefits Program for Special Continuation of coverage application (coverage for life) located at 40 Rector Street, 3rd Floor, New York 10006 (212) 5 J3-0470.

HEALTH INSURANCE: C.O.B.R.A. Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985. COBRA has a safety net. If spouse or dependent was covered under deceased's health plan they may continue coverage under COBRA for up to 36 months. New York State in 2001 amended the Administrative Code to continue Health Care Coverage for Surviving Spouses for Life (Download Information Regarding this Amendment). This enables the deceased's spouse and/or dependents to receive coverage at the group rate. The City and the Line Organization health benefits stop at the death of the members. The rate, though high, is cheaper than the non group rate.

NYC Employee Benefits 1-(212) 513-0470

Contact the NYPD Operations Unit located at One Police Plaza telephone # (646) 610-5580, for pall bearers (all five boroughs, all of Long Island and Upstate New York but not beyond Duchess County).

Social Security: 1-800772-1213 (Funeral Director will usually do this for you)
Fraternal Organizations to arrange for visitors, Color Guard and possible insurance benefits
If a veteran, Notify the Veterans Administration (Usually Funeral Director will do this for you also Church or Temple for announcements and to arrange for funeral)

1-800827-1000, Gravemarker, Funeral Allowance, Flag (See Funeral Director) If can't find discharge or DO 214, Need date of Enlistrnent, date of Discharge, Branch & Serial Number. If deceased had 100% disability for 10 years spouse is entitled to an additional benefit.


Death Certificates are necessary in every step to the successful administration of a decedent's estate. (Usually Funeral will obtain certificates as part of his service at current cost)

Pension Bureau,
Veterans Administration (if a veteran)
Motor Vehicle Bureau if auto was in deceased's name. 1 for each insurance policy

Probate Court
Your State Department of Revenue to obtain non-tax certificate if real property is involved
Bank accounts held in trust for another
1 for each account property held in trust
Personal Records
Note: If estate is probated, some of the above will take a letter of testamentary instead of a Death Certificate

Marriage Certificates with official raised seal
Social Security, (not necessary if surviving spouse already receiving benefits)

Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration
Motor Vehicle Bureau if auto is in deceased's name
One for each bank account, brokerage house account, share of stock or bonds, etc. that were in the deceased's name alone

Original needed for social security, if spouse is not already receiving benefits. Service time counts toward qualification. They will Photostat.  One for Veterans Administration, if a veteran.

1 for Pension Bureau
1 for Probate Court
1 for I.R.S if taxable estate


Cancel the lease, if your parent or loved one rented a home or apartment; cancel the lease after clearing out the furnishings.

Inform Insurance Companies.  File life insurance claims for any policies on the person’s life, and request the insurers send you a form 712, life Insurance Statement. (A statement about the life insurance that must be filed with the estate tax return.)

Make sure the auto insurance company continues to cover the person’s car until it's sold or transferred to a beneficiary.

Make sure the homeowners policy continues to provide adequate coverage until the house is sold or disposed of.

Notify companies the deceased did business with

Cancel credit cards, and close all charge accounts

Gather assets, this doesn’t mean piling them all together, it means getting a list of all the assets at the time of the decedents death, along with copies of statements, deeds, etc.   This information is needed for probate.  It is also essential for filing federal and state estate tax returns, if required.

Review IRA's. If the surviving spouse is the beneficiary, decide whether to roll an IRA over to the surviving spouse.

Get good advice, and get it now.  The money you pay to attorneys and other advisors to resolve issues up front can be much lower than if you deal with problems after a person’s death.

Consideration should also be given to making pre-death funeral arrangements, this provision, no matter how painful, should be discussed by couples and by parents with their families.  Too often, spouse and children spend too much money on a funeral and to do so without really knowing what were the deceased's wishes in this regard ( place of burial, Cremation, etc.)

Consideration should also be given to having a "Family Durable Power of Attorney" (someone to take over your finances if you become incapacity or incompetent)

There are no words of comfort at such a difficult time, however if you have all the necessary information at the ready it will expedite any claim  that is pending, make the process run smoothly and your stress level can be minimized.